For all it's shimmer and promise, the festive season can also bring a truckload of challenges for many people.If you're not gleefully anticipating decorating the tree and trying to one-up Santa in the gift-giving stakes, then you might be feeling a little, well,...
As someone who has lived through trauma, I know intimately how the psyche is affected. I’ve undertaken the healing work to live well with a brain that still bears the scars of that trauma, and I accept that I still need therapeutic ‘top ups’ from time to time. I’ve...
It’s not rare for me have periods of self-reflection. I do so on a daily basis, and deeply, in writing, on a monthly basis at least. But the eve of my 40th birthday brought a gift I wasn’t expecting, until I sat down and really thought about it: freedom. There’s...
Emotional Safety is Seductive: In 2012, a professional singer I know sent in a video audition to The Voice. She did it on a whim, but she was in her mid-twenties in an industry that has a very clear bias towards artists much younger, and deep down she hoped this would...
I know you're in there. I can’t hear you because our Tired, Fearful, Stuck Self is louder than you right now. I know you’re in there. But I’m struggling to connect with you because our Tired, Fearful, Stuck self has me convinced of some old stories I’m easily...
Sunday Suffering Initially, it would come on at about 5 pm. Every Sunday. No matter where I was or what I was doing. A disquiet in the base of my gut that had the capacity to wrap up the joy from my weekend and firmly place it out of reach so it – the fear – was front...
Tomorrow’s Forecast Looks Like … Your mind is neither a fortune teller nor time traveller, but that won’t stop it from trying to project into the future or cast back to what’s already been. Minds are constantly gathering information to...
Eight Years …Eight years. That’s how long it had been since Kate could remember waking up in the morning and not vomiting from anxiety. Three years longer than her daughter had been alive, more than two thirds of the entirety of her marriage, and likely...
Overcoming Blocks to Your Dreams – Overanalysis and Other Annoying Things the Brain Does When It’s Scared
When Fear Takes Hold It was a Tuesday many years ago when Jane (not her real name) and I met. I was in full-time clinical practice and my schedule was booked solid for this particular day. In between clients, I slipped into the kitchen to make tea. I think it was...
It Started Off Well …You’re a little further on from the promises you made to yourself at the beginning.The beginning of the year. Month. Week. Day. Whenever it was, it was a beginning that you were invested in because something powerful was present:...
I write – sometimes a little, mostly a lot (because permission to embody creative living is freeing for doing the things I love most). My own projects demand most of my time, but I like to leave a small real estate space for guest writing in publications that resonate with me on a deep level. If you think that’s your brand, get in touch!
My words in special places …
- Sydney Morning Herald: People-Pleaser? How to use this powerful skill without self-sabotaging
- Sydney Morning Herald: Will Smith had to recover from being a people-pleaser. You can, too
- Mammamia: How to set healthy boundaries, a psychologist’s guide
- Australian Women’s Weekly: How to make yourself heard
- Body and Soul: Why setting boundaries is the ultimate form of self-care
- MiNDFOOD: Why you need to set boundaries in your relationships
- Peppermint Magazine: How to avoid overwhelm and protect well-being this Christmas
- Dreams for Breakfast: 5 Successful Women Share Their Morning Routines
- Peppermint Magazine: We Are One issue, “An Ode to Quiet Courage” (article)
- Move to Heal Project: Moving Through Emotional Discomfort – blog post
- Peppermint Magazine: Digital Blog: Look on the Bright Side – extract from Be Happy Book
- Peppermint Magazine: Ancient Wisdom Issue: The Counter-intuitive Path to Happiness
- Wellness Goals: In Conversation with Rebecca Ray on Self-Care (interview)
- Happy Mama Magazine: What I Wish I Knew About Becoming a Mama
- Collective Hub: Entrepreneurs Need Not Be Fearless to Succeed. Here’s Why.
- PsychCentral: 10 Small Ways to Create Brighter, More Inspiring Days
- PsychCentral: The Most Important Probing Questions to Repeatedly Ask Ourselves (article)
- Happiness Insights: What Book Changed Your Life? (profile)
- Peppermint Magazine, Living with Less issue, “Happiness Habits” (article)
- Happy Mama Magazine – The Art of Living in Creativity (interview)
- Project Strong Woman (profile)
- The Love Is Viral Show: The Universe Listens To Brave
- Living the Liminal: Finding Joy In The Pauses Of Life
- Sacred Stories: The Universe Listens To Brave
- Body and Soul: Mind and Body